Question about PCX support

Steve Gehlbach steve at nexpath.com
Wed Sep 17 16:05:00 CEST 2003

David Hendricks wrote:

> In the vga_load_pcx.c file, it says:
> //  This routine supports variable width and height but the default
> //  for linuxbios is 640 x 400 pixels.
>
> Is that 400 a typo? It seems like it should be 640 x 480.

Well it is not a typo, but it may be implemented off standard.  The
setting really is 640 x 400.  The idea was to match the character
display setting.  Maybe that is non-traditional for graphics.  The
character display is 640 x 400 since it is 80 x 25 characters using an 8
x 16 pixel font.  And I think that is traditional MDA compatible alpha
mode 7.

It is possible to change it to 640 x 480 and change the pcx file, but
the gmode implementation would need some registers changed.  I was lazy
and it did not seem that important.

-Steve