Help needed (LinuxBIOS & FILO on EPIA5000)

Sven Luebke sven.luebke at mikrosol.de
Fri Sep 19 08:12:01 CEST 2003

At 18:24 19.09.2003 +0900, SONE Takeshi wrote:

Hi Takeshi!

> > In FILO I edited the file "Config" and changed only:
> > AUTOBOOT_FILE = "hda5:/vmlinuz"
>
>If this file is the bzImage format kernel, FILO can't load it (yet).
>Use mkelfImage from ftp://ftp.lnxi.com/pub/mkelfImage/
>to convert your vmlinuz to ELF.

Thank you, that was my first failure! I had to replace the binutils package,
which was installed with my Debian distribution, to get the ELF image
(otherwise an internal error occured). Which command-line parameters
do I have to use if I want VGA support? I used:

mkelfImage --kernel=/usr/src/linux-2.4.21/arch/i386/boot/bzImage \
                      --output=/vmlinuz.elf \
                      --command-line="console=ttyS0,115200n8 root=/dev/hda5"

> > 1. In "epia.config" there is the option PAYLOAD_SIZE! Do I have to change
> > it to the size of the "filo.elf" payload?? I tried it, but it's not
> working
> > nevertheless...
>
>I have never tried to change that option.

Ok, then I do not change it also...

> > 2. Is FILO compatible with the ext3 filesystem? I am using it in my root
> > partition,
> > but read, that ext2 and ext3 are compatible! Is that my failure?
>
>FILO works with ext3 just fine. In fact I'm using ext3 too.
>Filesystem routines are from GNU GRUB and it's been compatilbe with ext3
>for quite a while.

Oh, that's great, because I don't have to convert from ext3 to ext2!

>You definitely need a serial cable to see what is going on.

Yes, you are right. I build a nullmodem cable to see the debug infos, but
Linuxbios isn't very "verbose" :-):

0

LinuxBIOS-1.0.0 Fri Sep 19 13:58:31 CEST 2003 starting...

That's the last message...

Any idea? Is it better to deactivate VGA support first and get the rest
working first?

Thank you so much for your help!

Best regards,

Sven