/dev/nvram useable?

Hubert Denkmair hubert at denkmair.de
Mon Sep 22 09:22:01 CEST 2003

Hello again,

does anyone know if/how the linux /dev/nvram device is working with
linuxbios and my Epia5000?
I would love to store some status information of my car mp3 player in
the nvram, since power supply can be cut any time and I want my harddisk
to be mounted readonly.

On linuxbios startup, the following two lines are printed:
 >RTC Init
 >Invalid CMOS LB checksum

And after every linuxbios boot, when switching back to the original
BIOS, it complains "CMOS checksum error, defaults loaded..."

Writing to /dev/nvram raises no error (echo "hello" > /dev/nvram), but
reading from /dev/nvram results in "reading `/dev/nvram': Input/output
error" :(

(How) can I use the nvram? Is there another possibility, maybe without
the /dev/nvram device driver?

Hubert