epia800

SONE Takeshi ts1 at tsn.or.jp
Tue Sep 23 08:27:00 CEST 2003

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 02:27:08AM -0600, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Actually the FILO polled IDE derives most directly from etherboot 5.1.
>
> There are a couple of small differences but nothing that looked too
> substantial.  The biggest is the ide_bus_floating() that attempts to
> quickly see if an IDE cable is absent.

Yes, I took it from Etherboot 5.1.
I added floating bus detection, and also changed the soft reset code
to see if the drive asserts BSY.

> FILO does look good from what I have seen of it.

I'm really glad to hear that from you.

> Before anyone can guess anything we need a lot more detailed bug
> report than what has been seen so far.
>
> Steve how does your 1.2G Caviar fail?  Is it not detected or is the
> problem something else?

I think his problem is something related with geometry. Not with
detection.

I thought I had a similar WD drive in my junk box, and I looked for it
today, without success.  Instead I've found a 250MB Conner(!) drive,
and it worked perfectly with FILO!

> SONE do you really have a system that with no IDE disk has the BSY bit
> stuck high.  Or is that just what happens when you scan PIO ports that
> are not connected to and IDE controller.

On EPIA the BSY bit is low when drive is absent, and it is the only
real hardware I run FILO. However, it helps quickly skipping the
non-existent 3rd and 4th IDE controllers, as you pointed out.
--
Takeshi