epia800

Steve Gehlbach steve at nexpath.com
Tue Sep 23 11:19:01 CEST 2003

Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> Steve how does your 1.2G Caviar fail?  Is it not detected or is the
> problem something else?

Everything works fine, it just gets the wrong data.  I put in lots of
printf's, it is using ide_read_sector_lba, all results are normal
AFAICT.  I printed out the sector (sector 0) that it read, it had about
50 initial values, then all zeros. The real sector 0 is pretty much all
filled.  I grep'ed for a couple of bytes from the bogus sector and they
did not appear in the real sector, so I think all of the data is bogus,
not just shifted or something.

The cmd.device byte (=0xe0) (and the others in this structure) appear
correct in comparing to ATA spec.  Is there ever any confusion about
what the first sector is (0 vs 1)?  I could not find a specific
statement in the ATA spec about this, but it is a long spec.

I was going to force it to use ide_read_sector_chs but did not have time.

I switched to using my CF drive and it worked fine, so I don't think it
was cockpit trouble.

-Steve