the EPIA universe

Michael Fenner Michael at Fenner.org
Tue Sep 23 12:02:00 CEST 2003

> Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 23:54:10 +0800
> From: Andrew Ip <aip at cwlinux.com>
> To: ron minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov>
> Cc: Niki Waibel <niki.waibel at newlogic.com>, linuxbios at clustermatic.org
> Subject: Re: the EPIA universe
>
> Hi,
>
> > name          CPU     Extension       Speed           RAM remarks
> > EPIA-M         C3         3DNOW     800 Mhz         SDRAM
> > EPIA-M         C3         3DNOW     600 MHz         SDRAM fanless
> I think all EPIA-M uses ddr, and EPIA/EPIA-V uses sdram.  Also,
> any CPU less or equal to 600MHz doesn't come with fan.  Furthermore,
> EPIA-M comes with MPEG-2 decoder.  VIA has released source code for
> mpeg-2 is and also X driver recently.  If you want to try mpeg-2 decoder,
> the easiest way is to use mplayer which just has got it supported.
> AFAIK, EPIA-M 10000 is able to play mpeg-2 even without using the hw
> decoder.
>
> -Andrew

Hi Andrew,

where did you get the information that mplayer now supports the mpeg-2
decoder for the epia-m? Couldn't find it anywhere.....

Also I'm a little confused about the source for the mpeg-2 decoder - I just
know that they support a precompiled version of xine (called VeXP) for
some Linux distributions and the source of the lite version of the CLE266
drivers (without hw-mpeg2). Did I miss some good news here?

thnax,

Michael