memory epia-m 127M != 512M

Niki Waibel niki.waibel at newlogic.com
Thu Sep 25 04:27:01 CEST 2003

hi ian,

> The first is that I think the comments in the code may be a bit misleading
> (apologies to the original author!)
>
> AIUI the registers at 0x56 and 0x57 (and 0x5E and 0x5F as well) should be
> set to the same value as 0x5D i.e. the DRAM ending address for your highest
> populated bank of memory.
>
> Looking through northbridge/via/vt8623/raminit.inc it looks like 0x56 and
> 0x56 are set to 0x10, which I think would equate to 128MB as you are seeing.

hmmm

> I think if you possibly remove the references to 0x56 and 0x57 in
> northbridge.c (and set the number of banks to 4), then set the values in
> raminit.inc to what you want i.e.
>
> 0x5A = 0x20
> 0x5B = 0x40
> 0x5C = 0x40
> 0x5D = 0x40
> 0x56 = 0x40
> 0x57 = 0x40
>
> then the size detect code might just work.
>
> Of course if your 512MB module actually has two banks of memory then you
> might need to add some extra code to initialise the second bank (not sure
> about this though.
>
> I need to get this working for the project I'm working on (as well as
> getting banks 2 and 3 going too),

all the work which has to be done (regarding this) is almost impossible
without the knowledge of the registers.

because of that i cannot help much ... i dont want to write wrong code
just because of lack of information.

> but at the moment I'm trying to get the
> VGA working so it might be a few days before I will the time to do some
> proper investigation.

so we need to wait for you, because it seems that you know
how to program the beast :)

> Hope this helps anyway

as i sayed -- this is not urgent for me.

it is just a bit annoying that via (and also other companies)
are really slowing down the process of developement. i dont see
the point in doing this. any fully working software make the
companies, who produce hardware, more famous -> more money.
hiding information is not a good way in my opinion.

niki