epia800

SONE Takeshi ts1 at cma.co.jp
Thu Sep 25 04:27:09 CEST 2003

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 10:54:02PM -0600, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> I have seen IDE cables with a memory so I am not at all certain
> about the floating detection.

I'm not sure about non-standard devices.
I believe this is what the commercial BIOS does.
Anyway FILO only touches the bus the user requests.

> The one thing I would really like to see is it using the LinuxBIOS table
> to find motherboard devices.  Before falling back to more conventional
> things like a pci scan.  That way you don't need to guess where the
> hardware is.  Right now this is a chicken and the egg problem because
> that information is not being exported but that is one of the next steps
> for the freebios2 tree.

It would be good. Especially for video parameters. We could fill the
Linux parameters correctly, so even the vesafb would work eventually.
For now FILO just assumes the devices are initialized by LB as the way
FILO expects.

--
Takeshi