XScale Port

ron minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Mon Apr 12 21:06:01 CEST 2004

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Joshua Wise wrote:

> Not just any 8086s, though... 3.0ghz 8086s :)

Actually they seem to be timing-compatible, so I'm not sure they are 3 Ghz
8086s.

> just log bus accesses and cache it all, saving you the effort of emulating
> the BIOS all over again...

You would think that might work. It doesn't.
:-(

> start emulating the VGA bios. (Although I suppose the best thing to do would
> really just be to get the specs from the hardware manufacturer, or to
> disassemble the VGA bios and reimplement it in C!)

- get specs: impossible
- disassemble and rewrite in C: get sued.

we've been through this discussion before. I used to be on the "we'll get
specs" side of this argument. For the most part, I was wrong. So I am now,
with regret, on the emulation side.

ron