flash_n_burn rom utils, /dev/bios ... resquest

Ronald G. Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Wed Apr 21 09:44:00 CEST 2004

On 21 Apr 2004, Mathieu Deschamps wrote:

>      half a millimeter between chip pins and a working motherboard :
> what if i'am a bit stress and lift up badly the chip ? I got the
> answer...

ah! the problem!

go to your friendly Radio Shack (I have seem them in France, is that your
location?) and get the PLCC puller. It's a great cheap tool and it is
almost IMPOSSIBLE to hurt anything with it!

> 1. why not building a flash_rom util which could send bios code steam
> via LTP, COM or USB, PCI  : the aim not to touch the "working" bios(even
> though its not needed after boot time) . Plusvalue of this : Cold plug :
> Make a backup copy for example

It's a great idea but what are you going to hook that USB port to? a $400
programmer, that's what. That's the problem.

> 2. trying to disconnect/diswire bios socket from the up mainboard (that
> is to say to get 0v on every pin of the socket) . Ideal view (mb
> manufacturers !) : get a jumper to handle this

I don't think you can get them to do it.

> 3 ... err .. run dry

hot plug.

ron