答复: Etherboot 5.2.4 + btext console + filo patch

Peter Lister prl at peterlister.co.uk
Tue Apr 27 13:38:00 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 03:26, ron minnich wrote:

> I think this has come up. I hate like heck to think about putting a fork
> of Etherboot in the linuxbios tree. It just seems like a bad idea.

Very bad idea - especially as Etherboot is undergoing significant
development just now, with the PXE support (essentially Etherboot's
equivalent of ADLO) being complete.  Also a managment change, as Ken Yap
has handed over to Marty Connor and Tim Legge.

> I think we need to figure out what about it Etherboot group might not
> like, and try to resolve it.

Why not just ask? :) It's being discussed on etherboot-developers right
now.

> Filo is a different situation, as it has no real home and I don't think
> Takeshita would object if Filo was in a contrib part of the linuxbios
> tree.

My suggestion is to consider managing FILO as part of the Etherboot tree
-  Etherboot already has an IDE disk driver, which predates FILO, IIRC.
The two projects are obvious complements. Also, I'd bet that an
integrated set of net / disk / flash device services would play much
better for integration with other projects like grub2.