Opteron / Tyan motherboard fault on boot.

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Fri Aug 20 15:04:01 CEST 2004

Dave Belfer-Shevett <dbs at stonekeep.com> writes:

> On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 13:03, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> > > I hit 'Q' here.
> >
> > The 'Q' option is generic in etherboot and it does not do anything sensible
> > under LinuxBIOS.  So you are probably triggering a triple fault again.
> > It does look like the code you have does not know how to reboot properly
> > but that is a minor issue.
>
> Okay, sounds fine.
> > > I'm experiencing other problems with this bios image as well.  I can't
> > > boot of hard drive or off floppy, it justs, for [D]isk boot  "probing
> > > pci disk [IDE] LBA48mode, disk-1...
> > > Searching for image...
> > > <abort>
> > > Probing pci disk...
> > > [IDE]
> > > Probing isa disk...
> > > <sleep>
> > > Boot from (N)etwork...
> >
> > Unless you have an ELF header at the start of your disk that is likely
> > the culprit.
>
> Ummm.  okay, so I need to make an elf-enabled floppy disk image?

dd the output of mkelfImage onto the floppy should work.
Assuming you have a valid floppy image.

> > The simple path is to get etherboot working with an image created by
> mkelfImage.
>

> I agree 8)
>
> > > When I replace the BIOS chip back with the AMI original image, I'm able
> > > to boot from floppy without a problem.
> >
> > You have a cluster node with a floppy drive?
>
> Only when I pull the blade out and manually hook a floppy drive to it so
> I can re-flash the bios.
>
> But getting back on track, am I doing this sequence improperly?
>
> On the boot host...
> cd /usr/src/linux[whatever]
> make bzImage
> [compilecompilecompile]
> I end up with an arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage bootable image.
> cp arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /tftpboot
> ~/src/mkelfImage-2.5/objdir/sbin/mkelfImage --kernel=/tftpboot/bzImage
> --output=/tftpboot/test1
> I alter dhcpd.conf to have 'filename "test1"'
>
> I restart dhcpd, restart the blade.

Hmm.  You have not specified any command line arguments.
--append="console=ttyS0,115200" or something like that is likely needed.

> Note the Etherboot header says:

> ROM segment 0x0000 length 0x0000 reloc 0x00000000
> CPU 2063mhz
> Etherboot 4.2.5( (GPL)... Tagged ELF for [IDE][TG3]    <-- okay?
> Relocating _text from...
> Boot from (N)etwork....
>
> After selecting 'boot from Network'
>
> I get
> _Probing pci nic...
> [ptg3-5704]Ethernet add...
> Tigon3 [partno...
> Link is up..
> Searching for server
> Me: (addresses)
> Firmware type: LinuxBIOS
>  _
>
> (note the ' ' before the cursor) - at this point it's hung.
>
> Is this the right process?

Yes. And the Firmware type: LinuxBIOS comes from the prefix
mkelfImage prepended.  So it is even running.

My best guess is that you don't have serial console output
configured.

Eric