other features for Linuxbios

Jeremy Jackson jerj at coplanar.net
Thu Aug 26 10:43:00 CEST 2004

Here's some ideas i've been getting:

firmware debugger: perhaps using romcc, a minimal debugger would allow
trying different ram initialization sequences rapidly.

If it were treated as a stub, it would be possible to run make on the
controlling machine, and (with some line from the serial port to the
reset line on the target board) have it compile the IPL ram init
sequence, reset the board, upload it, then test it.  By keeping VI open
in another window, you could try new code every few seconds.

Where would it store this code?  Well there's Eric's Cache-as-ram trick,
where available, and I was thinking about all those video cards that
aren't used with Linuxbios... don't almost all video cards have static
ram on them?  What would it take to execute code from there?

I wonder how much the gdb kernel stub depends on the kernel?  A serial
console api could be useful there and elsewhere, to avoid duplicating
the serial code in the various payloads.

other ideas... it would be swell to have an IPL that could accept
downloads (zmodem?) via the serial console port, and (re)flash the
payload, though it would require reimplementing the flashing code.
Probably nicer to use the MTD drivers in Linux.

Regards,

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Jackson