Support for Athlon 64 and nVIDIA nforce3

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Thu Jan 15 04:13:01 CET 2004

Stefan Reinauer <stepan at suse.de> writes:

> * Mayuresh Bakshi <mayuresh.bakshi at nevisnetworks.com> [040115 09:15]:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > We've a custom board with AMD Athlon 64 processor
> > and nVIDIA nforce3 as south bridge. Does linuxBIOS
> > have support for these chipsets.
>
> nvidia nforce3 is not supported. AFAIK nvidia has been kind of
> restrictive wrt releasing any of their specs. Only AMD released
> the complete range to their specifications and data sheets for
> AMD64 chipsets.

The memory controller setup is part of processor.  So with
the documentation as it now stands there is a slim possibility
of getting it up and going.  The hard part is supported.

If you are building a board with the nforce3 you probably have
enough traction that you have a reasonable chance of
getting the needed docs.  It is worth asking anyway :)

Eric