Linux from NTLDR

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Fri Jul 30 10:05:01 CEST 2004

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 04:07:58PM +0100, Matt Jarvis wrote:
> A cursory google throws up loads of stuff about doing this :
>
> http://www.devhood.com/tutorials/tutorial_details.aspx?tutorial_id=313
>
> http://jaeger.morpheus.net/linux/ntldr.html
>
> Personally I would use grub, but each to their own...

Without reading any of the above, this is what I do:

# in Linux
dd if=/dev/hda of=/boot/bootsect.lix bs=512 count=1
cat << EOF > /etc/lilo.conf
lba32
boot=/boot/bootsect.lix
root=/dev/hda2
read-only
image=/usr/src/linux-2.6.7/arch/i386/boot/bzImage
  label=lix267
EOF
lilo

# then copy /boot/bootsect.lix to wherever Windows thinks is C:\
# and add this line to C:\boot.ini in the appropriate section.
C:\bootsect.lix=Linux

I can see how using GRUB would be especially beneficial under these
circumstances but I much prefer LILO anyway. Call me old-fashioned
if you like. :)

//Peter