[PROPOSAL] extended payload handling

Hendricks David W. dwh at lanl.gov
Tue Jun 8 13:56:01 CEST 2004

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Frank wrote:
> You missed the point!

Yes, I did miss the point (I should've read more closely).

> at u-boot and you'll find support for just about every PPC  and
> the number of drivers are abundant. I can port u-boot to a new
> PPC based board in about 3 days tops. There is no way I can port
> LinuxBios to a new X86 based board in that amount of time.

I haven't looked at u-boot code much, so I cannot compare ease of porting
to a new board. However, LB doesn't seem all bad in that area from where I
stand. Of course it's going to be difficult if you switch architectures,
but once the initial work is done it's a piece of cake. I was get an Iwill
DK8S2 (Dual opteron board) running in less than 3 days simply by
duplicating the Arima HDAMA (Another dual Opteron board) code and tweaking
some config files, and I'm just a student working here and not some l33t
hacker like Eric or Ron. No hacking on assembly code (Or even C code for
that matter) was required.

As far as architectures go, LinuxBIOS has run on Alphas, x86, x86-64,
and now PPC. It's portable. And since freebios2 is took a huge leap in
reducing the amount of assembly required to do a port, it should be easier
now than it was before.

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Frank wrote:
> not waste time trying to make it work for the PPC. If I wanted a
> bootloader I would use u-boot not LinuxBios. I have heard of
> other people abandoning LinuxBios and going to u-boot in that
> past, just like I did...

You ought to try FILO as a payload for LinuxBIOS. I think it accomplishes
what you wanted a year ago (
http://www.clustermatic.org/pipermail/linuxbios/2003-June/003789.html ).