BIOS calls

Daniel Sheltraw sheltraw at unm.edu
Tue Mar 2 18:23:01 CET 2004

Quoting ron minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov>:

> On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Daniel Sheltraw wrote:
>
> > Does LinuxBIOS have a protected-mode API that can be used in
> > kernel-space to config devices similar to the old DOS-based
> > BIOS calls in real-mode?
>
> no, intentionally not. We don't ever want to get back into that
> nightmare
> unless it becomes hopelessly unavoidable.
>
> ron

Ron

I have been used Linux and RTAI-Linux to develop a hard real-time
application called RTStim which is used in functional neuroimaging
experimentation. RTStim makes use of two video cards. One card is
controlled by normal Linux and provides a GUI to RTStim. The other
card provides visual stimuli to subjects. To configure the second
video card we have been using Linux's ability to configure video
while still in real mode by modifying the lilo config file. It would
be fantastic if we could eliminate the modification of this config
file in the installation of RTStim. If we had a BIOS call to do
such a thing that would be ideal.

Do you know how to access such configuration ROM for video while
in protected-mode.?

Thanks again,
daniel