PCI card bios accessibility

Tina Declerck tdeclerck at 3WARE.com
Fri Mar 5 12:38:01 CET 2004

Hi Ollie,

> > On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Tina Declerck wrote:
> >> - Will it use PCI configuration space to locate the Basic Address
> >> (BAR) to locate bios
> >>    on a PCI card and load it?  Specifically, this is regarding a 3ware
> RAID
> >> card.
> >
> > This is done now in user mode via emulation, for a number of reasons,
and
> > this emulation will move to linuxbios in a month or so.
> >
> That's good to hear.  We'd like to do some testing in-house once this is
> available.
>

> Why do you want to do this ? AFIAK, 3ware one of the few open source
> friendly vendors, the driver in the kernel can pretty much handle
> anything.

Thank you.  I'm not questioning the functionality of the driver, however,
some customers like to configure 3ware RAID using the 3ware bios.  If it
is called during the system boot the driver isn't involved. This is not
taking anything from existing functionality but trying to see if
the functions currently available with other BIOSes is or will be available
with the Linux BIOS.

Thank you,

Tina

DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this electronic mail transmission
is intended by 3ware for the use of the named individual or entity to which
it is directed and may contain information that is confidential or
privileged and should not be disseminated without prior approval from 3ware