TODO: K8 CG stepping support

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Thu Mar 11 10:54:01 CET 2004

Stefan Reinauer <stepan at suse.de> writes:

> * Eric W. Biederman <ebiederman at lnxi.com> [040311 16:58]:
> > Just an FYI there is some work needed to support the latest K8 steppings
> > mostly they are Athlon64s.  And that is the one item I forgot to put
> > on my todo list...
>
> Can you give some details?

There are some memory controller enhancements. 2T timings I think.
And possibly some memory loading requirements.  There are one or two
other things, power control or irq stuff.  And I think there one or
two errata.

It is nothing huge but it should all be covered in the latest
BIOS programmers guide and the revision guide for the K8.  And I
believe the CG stepping is publicly documented now so anyone who wants
to look through things and make certain we are uptodate should be able
to do it just by wading through the docs.

AMD keeps enhancing things and their processor keeps getting
better.  We poor BIOS guys just have to keep up.

Oh and there is the cpu name string that we could fill in if
we felt so inclined.  I don't think I have ever gotten that far.

I'm busy working on a different port so I don't think I will refresh
Opteron code past the C0 stepping any time soon.

Anyway it is probably more important to make certain we have
the normal Opteron ports working before we get to far into that.

I am just trying to flush my queue of outstanding issues before they
start suffering from bit rot.

A lot of the code I flushed today has been running on Lightning and
Orange for a while.  I think everything except the cleaned up superio.

Eric