"up", "down"

Li-Ta Lo ollie at lanl.gov
Mon Mar 22 12:37:00 CET 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 10:36, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> * ron minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov> [040322 18:30]:
> > > It refers to the Hypertransport Links, Down (LDT0), Across (LDT1), UP
> > > (LDT2).
> >
> > I think I picked these names, and if I did I will take the blame: they are
> > hard to remember.
>
> These names are also spread across several pieces of AMD64 and
> Hypertransport documentation, since it illustrates hypertransport
> graphs of different wiring quite nice. Still, it's unclear from a
> technical point of view.
>
> > Should we bite the bullet and change the names? ldt0, ldt1, ldt2?
>
> Should not be too hard, since we are not really using them heavily. I
> still have some defines used in coherent_ht.c which should go away
> and replaced by something more sophisticated.
>

>From my understanding of the AMD docs, the mapping between LDT0-2 to
up, down, across is not that simple and static. "Up" can be either
LTD0 or LDT1 or LDT2 so as for "down" and "across".

The terminology 'link' is heavily and badly overloaded in LinuxBIOS,
we have link for HT links and link for how many branches a device
has (bridges have two 'links'), and there are some other link I have
no idea about.

The same happens for the field name "enable" of some structures. Some
of them are verbs (enable() operation), some others are actually
adjectives (been 'enabled'). I though that I am the ONLY who can't
speak English in LinuxBIOS project.

Ollie