No output on EPIA-M serial port

Shawn Perkin shawnp at RUSSOUND.COM
Wed Mar 24 16:38:00 CET 2004

Hello all,

I'm currently in the process of trying to get Linuxbios to work on my
Via EPIA-M with no success. I have successfully complied Etherboot 5.2.0
as my payload, and performed a successful build of Linuxbios. I burned
the image without any errors and rebooted the system. I then had
absolutely no output on either serial port, or local display. I
currently have 256 MB of ram in the unit, and have tried a build with
and without the extracted vgabios.bin. I have included my config file
for your review. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shawn

#
# LinuxBIOS config file for: VIA epia-m mini-itx
#

target /usr/local/build/epia-m

# via epia
mainboard via/epia-m

# Enable Serial Console for debugging
option SERIAL_CONSOLE=1
#option SERIAL_POST=1
option TTYS0_BAUD=115200
#option TTYS0_BAUD=57600
option HAVE_FRAMEBUFFER=1
option CONFIG_VGABIOS=1
option CONFIG_REALMODE_IDT=1
dir src/bioscall
option CONFIG_PCIBIOS=1
option VGABIOS_START=0xfffe0000
#addaction romimage dd if=../vgabios.bin of=romimage bs=65536 seek=2
conv=sync conv=notrunc
option CONFIG_EPIAMVERSIONSTRING="5.0.0E-" __DATE__ " " __TIME__
#target /ram/freebios/obj
#payload /code/bootfiles/etherboot/via6105m.ebi

option DEFAULT_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL=9
option DEBUG=1

# Use 256KB Standard Flash as Normal BIOS
option RAMTEST=1
option USE_GENERIC_ROM=1
option STD_FLASH=1
#option ZKERNEL_START=0xfffc0000
option ROM_SIZE=262144

# payload size = 192KB
option PAYLOAD_SIZE=196608

# use ELF Loader to load Etherboot
option USE_ELF_BOOT=1

# Use Etherboot as our payload
payload /home/shawnp/bios/etherboot-5.2.0/src/bin/via-rhine.elf
# payload /opt/cwlinux/memtest86/memtest