Weird K8 output

Stefan Reinauer stepan at openbios.org
Tue Nov 2 15:40:01 CET 2004

* Eric W. Biederman <ebiederman at lnxi.com> [041102 22:05]:
> Hmm.  It looks like you have non-bootstrap cpus running through the code.
>
> Usually it is this hunk of code that traps errors.
> 	if (!boot_cpu()) {
> 		stop_this_cpu();

> Although I can see something very weird happening if you have
> BIST failure, on your secondary cpus. But that is quite
> unlikely.

But that is something that would be reported, somehow, before setting
the resource map, no?

> > Is the machine drunk or are CPU1-3 just running away?
>
> It looks like the cpus are just running away :(  Usually I would
> expect to interlaced characters form a message I recognize.  But I
> don't recognize see anything I recognize here.

Looking closer, it almost looks like Clearing mtrr

> > Renaming current temporary node to 01 done.
> > anabling routing table for node 01 dConlee.
                                        C  l e
> >  tRiennamgin g mcutrrrenrt
     t i n   g   g m  tr    r

as in print_spew("Clearing mtrr\r\n"); of do_early_mtrr_init.c

Ha, it looks like noone had a chance to compile with spew messages in
quite a while ;-) mtrr setup is long called before stop_cpu. So the
messages seem to be unrelated to the hang..