elfboot

Ronald G. Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Mon Nov 29 04:59:00 CET 2004

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Gin wrote:

> When it tries to build the ELF segment list, it checks if the segment
> address is valid by walking through the table of valid memory ranges.
> What is the reason to do this?

Because we don't relocate elf addresses. The addresses in the elf have to
be backed by memory.

> for(i = 0; i < mem_entries; i++) {
>                 uint64_t mstart, mend;
>                 uint32_t mtype;
>                 mtype = mem->map[i].type;
>                 mstart = mem->map[i].start;
>                 mend = mstart + mem->map[i].size;
>                 if ((mtype == LB_MEM_RAM) && (start < mend) && (end >
> mstart)) {

Possibly I'm reading this wrong but ... this test looks somewhat broken.

take a simple case.
memory start 0x1000 memory end 0x2000
elf    start 0x1001 elf end 0x3000

Seems like this test will indicate, incorrectly, that the elf segment will
fit in physical memory and that is not the case.

ron