FYI: Merge in progress...

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Thu Oct 21 21:49:01 CEST 2004

Li-Ta Lo <ollie at lanl.gov> writes:

> On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 12:00, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> > At this point we should be able to look at the device tree and
> > see if we need to use and io range register or the RdRam WrDram bits.
> >

> Are you talking somthing in my mind ? I hope in the mtrr.c for K8
> instead of hack with the mem_map we have:
>
> setup_mtrr()
> {
> 	if (search_for_vga_device_on_the_tree() == FOUND) {
> 		enable_rd_wr_mem_in_fixed_mtrr();
> 		clear_rd_wr_mem_for_legacy_vga_buffer();
> 		set_IORR_to_AGP_aperture();
> 	} else {
> 		disable_rd_wr_mem();
> 	}
>
> 	do_some_other_thigs();
> }
>
> And the code is executed on each processors.

I was thinking more like:

for_each_mem_resource() {
        if (resource < TOP_MEM) {
                if (can_use_fixed_iorr()) {
                        setup_fixed_iorr_in_fixed_mtrr();
		}
		else {
                        setup_iorr();
                }
        }
}

That should be a fairly simple loop to code up.  The interesting
part is to add a resource to the VGA devices who gets to
live at the legacy address.

Largely I had not realized mtrr.c had been updated to
handle this before my merge or I would have made an attempt
to convert that code.

It looks like it would be profitable for me to look through
the old cpu directories and see what code changes I have
missed.

Eric