about i845gv ddr sdram init

Ronald G. Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Fri Oct 22 11:34:38 CEST 2004

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Don Elwell wrote:

> I burned a ton of time on this a while ago but got nowhere.  It would seem
> that Intel provides only partial documentation for their chipsets on their web
> site.  I discovered that there are hidden/undocumented registers used in the
> DDR SDRAM setup (there are probably others).  I also tried in vain to get a
> contact there but again came up empty handed.  In the end, we ended up going
> with a different chipset manufacturer.

I hear this story about Intel a lot. Every intel port we've done has had
an issue of undocumented behavior, except I think for the 440BX.

Other vendors's parts do also have undocumented behavior but the level of
helpfulness at some of them is better than Intel. I keep hoping things
will get better with Intel because I do like their parts and the fact that
once a part comes out it's stable for a long time.

> Ron,  where did you get information for your 855 port in v2?  Is it broken for
> the "hidden registers" reason?

I got the info from the public web site, and yes I'm hung up due to lack
of real info. The question is, is it worth the effort to do this pentium-M
with such a lack of vendor support, or is time better spent with vendors
who want to work with you (AMD, IBM, others)? For now I'm putting my time
into vendors who want to play nice. Pentium-M is turned off for a while.

ron