Makefile changes for symbols

Stephen.Kimball at bench.com Stephen.Kimball at bench.com
Fri Oct 22 15:17:00 CEST 2004

> <Stephen.Kimball at bench.com> writes:
>
> > Rod,
> >
> > I'm using Source Point 7.0.0.  I can see the source files.  I can
> > display source, disassembly or mixed.  However, the disassembly
doesn't
> > match up with the source code.  There is a way to give Source Point
an
> > offset when the symbols are loaded, but I can't seem to get the
right
> > value.  I know the address of _start and __protected_start but these
> > labels are not in linuxbios_c.o.  I need to find the location of a
> >symbol in linuxbios_c.o to compute the offset.
>
> ???
>
> linuxbios_c is run at an absolute location in memory so the address
> of the symbols within it should be fine.
>
> Look at readelf -a linuxbios_c.

I have looked at the readelf output.  Readelf says hardwaremain is at
000020b8, but I can't find it. SourcePoint thinks it's at 0008:000020B8
(32-bit mode).  But it's not there even after the copy into RAM.

> Now these are not addresses within the rom chip.  The are the
addresses
> the code is copied to after memory initialization.
>
> Currently romcc which generates the code that executes immediately
> out of the rom chip does not give good debugging output.  But
> you should still be able to see the assembly.  crt0.s should
> match what you are looking at.
>
> You don't have the debugger in 16bit mode or something do you?

SourcePoint switches to 32-bit mode 16 instructions into crt0.s at the
JMP instruction.

Am I right that crt0.s loads LinuxBIOS into RAM then branches to
hardwaremain?

Steve