JTAG debugging

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Fri Oct 22 20:23:01 CEST 2004

Richard Smith <rsmith at bitworks.com> writes:

> >>is really not much more than what gdb stubs provides.  At least
> >>not after memory is initialized.
> >

> A gdb stub would be pretty cool.  I could have used it lots already.
>
> What happend to this?

Good question.

I was not terribly enthusiastic as most of my time is spent setting
up the memory controller where gdb stubs simply cannot go.  At least
not until we can figure out cache as ram.  Which unfortunately tends
to be about as bad a setting up a memory controller.

So I figured romcc is generally and still do that romcc is a lot more
useful.

In any case gdb stubs are fairly simple and I have some.  So I might
just integrate them into LinuxBIOS.

The painful part is adding exception handlers, and it would be nice
to have exception handlers in any event so that mysteriously triggered
exceptions can be caught.

Eric