status information

Ronald G. Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Thu Oct 28 14:04:01 CEST 2004

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Li-Ta Lo wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 06:29, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> > Stefan Reinauer <stepan at openbios.org> writes:
> >
> > > Hi,
> >

> > > the "reference build" arima hdama seems to be too big when being
> > > compiled with gcc 3.3.1 or 3.3.3..
> >
> > I will (hopefully) commit later today, but I have found one general
> > technique that will cut down the code size but a small amount.
> > In the chip_operations struct we have a name for debugging.
> > Since we are no longer printing that name there is no point in
> > keeping it.
> >

> Why don't we just enlarge the size to, say, 128kB ??

YES!

Rather than remove debugging names, let's to ahead and move things around!
I've done this once and it worked. We need to fix the .lds for things.

I have found the debugging names to be useful in the arium context, where
i can browse memory and look for strings etc. We should be able to print
these out at some points.

So move the c_payload to 0xfffe0000 and you'll have tons of room. So why
not do that?

Please don't remove the debugging names, the gain is very small and I
think that would be a mistake.

ron