LinuxBIOS debugging with an emulator

Li-Ta Lo ollie at lanl.gov
Thu Oct 28 17:02:00 CEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 16:03, Stephen.Kimball at bench.com wrote:

> It seems that LinuxBIOS copies itself to _RAMBASE, which is 0x4000.
> Then it branches to 0x4000 into _start, which sets up the stack and
> calls hardwaremain.  The address of hardwaremain from linuxbios_c.o is
> wrong.  The address is not the Flash address and it's not the RAM
> address.  Can someone explain how linuxbios_c.o is linked with RAM
> addresses?

What do you mean ? In the S2885 I built, the _RAMBASE is 0x4000 and
hardwaremain is 0x5fe0 as you can get from the linuxbios_c.map. They
are both in RAM. If you use "objdump -drS linuxbios_c.o" you will
find the hardwaremain is at offset 0x1fe0 from the _RAMBASSE.

BTW, if you specify the -g option for gcc, you can use the -S option
in objdump to see the source code with the disassebmly (-d).

Ollie