Firmware hub/ICH top block swap

Jeremy Jackson jerj at coplanar.net
Wed Sep 1 22:55:01 CEST 2004

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Jeremy Jackson <jerj at coplanar.net> writes:
>

>>Has anyone pursued this feature of the i8xx series chipsets? Seems it could do
>>what the Bios saviour does, even for boards with a soldered on flash chip.
>

> Largely this requires a cooperative BIOS if you want to restore to something
> besides LinuxBIOS.

I have a specific case in mind: a motherboard with a soldered in flash
chip, and a 'cooperative' BIOS.  I need to keep the option of restoring
the vendor BIOS open until Linuxbios is working 100%.

> Once you have LinuxBIOS we implement essentially the same thing in software
> so the benefit is minor.  And by doing it in software we have it for
> every kind of flash chip.

Will this work for a sector erase flash?  Is there any documentation I
can look at?

--
Jeremy Jackson
Coplanar Networks