[LinuxBIOS] newbie question of lb

Hamish Guthrie hamish at prodigi.ch
Fri Aug 19 22:53:54 CEST 2005

Hi Edwin,

I am sending you a quotation from a very good member of the open source
community - I do not want to detract from your question, at all, but
some of Marty's suggestions are good value for money.

I quote my friend Marty Connor

"You need to do a better job asking for help.  You provide very little
in the way of information, and then you literally beg for help.

If you are having trouble with a project, then at least demonstrate that
you have read (or attempted to read) the documentation.  There is also a
mailing list for help specifically with that software, if you can't
figure out the documentation or examples.

Also, in debugging, you should attempt to create simple test cases, and
when they fail, send input, output, and what you thought should happen
to the appropriate list for analysis.  Otherwise, all we can do is guess
what might be happening.

I want to encourage you to proceed, but I also want to strongly suggest
that if you want help, you need to show that the time of the people
trying to help you is not wasted.  You can do this by showing that
progress you have made, by producing output, and explaining in more
detail what you did.

If your English skills are a problem, please find a friend who has
better skills, and have them help you, in exchange for help with
something they need help with.

I hope you succeed, but even more I hope that in this process you
develop better debugging skills, and improve your methods of asking for
help."

Marty said it all.

Hamish