[LinuxBIOS] Open Gaming Console

Bari Ari bari at onelabs.com
Wed Aug 31 19:19:09 CEST 2005

Vasileios Anagnostopoulos wrote:
> Why don't we use VR5500A,
>
> http://www.necel.com./micro/english/product/vr/vr5000series/index.html

No 3-D graphics. NEC did have a nice 3d graphics accelerator that was
used mainly in the Sega Dreamcast along with a Hitach SH-4 back in 2000.

The SH-5 is nice but only available as a core. SH-6 and 7 also looked
great on paper - Fast cores, memory and FPU's.

> http://www.cirrus.com/en/products/pro/detail/P1061.html

No floating point or 3D graphics here again, 200MHz core, 100MHz shared
bus for SDRAM and I/O. If it's around $5 like some Freescale iMX's
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/homepage.jsp?nodeId=01J4Fs2973
it might be nice for a handheld version of a game unit.

> http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS7303651216.html
> http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS2122942691.html (without the sdk of course)

3D graphics support would be weak here again since the PCI bus would be
choked by a 3D graphics controller hung off of it.

Network, sound, MPEG-2,3,4, playback and even some recording is working
pretty well on several ARM, Mips and SH platforms.

The weak spot is always 3D graphics performance. Even the Intel PXA's
with the 2700G accelerator
http://developer.intel.com/design/pca/prodbref/300571.htm
performs at the level of a several generations old ATI or Nvidia controller.

ST Nomadik has lots to offer as well but weak in 3D graphics support
http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/bd/11196/stn8810.pdf

as does the Philips Nexperia's
http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/products/nexperia/index.html

and Equator
http://www.equator.com/

lots of multimedia to offer as well but weak in or without 3D graphics
support.

Just my humble opinion, I could be wrong.

-Bari