[LinuxBIOS] MSI MB support

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 07:45:49 CET 2005

> Well, it would be kind of nice to not have to fork out money on a
> programmer if I can do it from the host system, though. Maybe I can use
> MSI's firmware programmer with a LinuxBIOS image?

Unless it does some sort of checksum deal that should be possible but
you are going to have to do the hotswap trick.  Otherwise after the
first flash you won't be able to go back since you have to have a
working BIOS to floppy (or CDROM) boot.

Get a spare chip, hot swap it and program in a 2nd copy of the factory
bios so you can rollback

> Are you sure? I can't remember signing a license for the BIOS code, in
> which case I should be allowed to read and study it.

Reading and studying is onething. Public distribution of what you find
is another.

The DMCA is evil.  None of us are lawyers so the only way to _insure_
we don't get into trouble is to clean room it which means no
dissassembly.  (Without permission)

--
Richard A. Smith