[LinuxBIOS] any chance to get X fbdev driver to work ?

Christian Sühs chris at suehsi.de
Thu Dec 29 23:36:41 CET 2005

>>It works :D
>

> And there was much rejoicing.

:D

>>Many thanks for your help.
>

> No prob.  I'm just glad we were able to make it work.

I'm too.

> Now we need to document all this.  Can you list all of the problems
> you had (so far) and what their solutions were.  Then I'll edit it and
> get it up on the wiki.

Well, I will make it in the next days. Unfortunatly, the X fbdev driver
does not work. Probably it is a inconsistent between viafb and fbdev.
Doesn't matter. I have find out, that the TinyX Xfbdev-Server works
great :D

> Also I think we need to create a new mainboard for this setup with all
> your mods.  You have had 2 seperate cases where a device difference
> caused you some trouble.

Eventually, there are more ie the non exist fdc port

> Please create a new mainboard directory and a new target with your
> working setup and submit the diff for inclusion back into the tree.

No problem. But there are many calls to devices, which the epia-ml not
have. I think, that makes Linuxbios a little bit slow or there are other
dev_find_device calls with false device IDs :D. I will try to remove
these sections before I create a new target.

> Still un-answered is _what_ was trashing parts of the 0x0c0000 area.
> We have fixed the symptom but not the cause.

That's right. I have looked again and again at the code and it seems it
is garbage, only. But I'm not sure.

> I wonder is this a global via epia problem?

Not, if the write_protect_vgabios function works :)
I have read somewhere in the net, that newer epias have a new designed
CLE266 Chipsets. It could be the reason for the different device IDs
In the X source code I have found somewhere:

1106_3122 = VT8623 [Apollo CLE266] integrated CastleRock graphics
1106_3123 = VT8623 [Apollo CLE266]

> It would be helpfull if the rest of the via epia users would comment
> out the write protect and see if they see the same thing happen.

Good idea.
chris