Is 440BX ported to Linuxbios v2?

Svante Signell svante.signell at telia.com
Thu Jan 13 14:08:00 CET 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 18:14 -0600, Richard Smith wrote:
> > > http://www.digikey.com is your friend.
> > >
> > > Well really almost any JDEC part 2MBits and larger will work.  If you
> > > use a larger part you might have to ground the unused address lines if
> > > they left them floating on the pcb.
> >
> > Thanks for the links. No luck with any of the links given, however. How
> > to find a replacement part?
>
> They are there but you just don't know what to look for. *grin*  First
> off you part number is incorrect it should be W29C020 not W290C020.
> But there are't that many people who sell windbond.  But you don need
> a windbond any 2MBit part will work as long as the footprint is the
> same... any 29?020 part will work.
>
> Oh wait a minute... I bet you don't have a programmer do you?  Ick.
> In that case foget what I said.  You will need a part supported by the
> hot swap trick.
>
> Ron.  What flash parts are supported by your hotswap trick?

I did find out the extra zero in my search, thank you. Now I got a few
hits at digikey. No, I don't have a FLASH programmer, but i can purchase
one if needed, and the price is not to high. According what you write it
does not seem to be possible to program an empy BIOS with a boot floppy
similar to re-programming an existing one. Can I copy the content of the
old BIOS with a programmer and start from there? How to proceed?

--
Svante Signell <svante.signell at telia.com>