POST cards [was: speaker beeper]

Ronald G. Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Fri Jan 14 07:41:01 CET 2005

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, Peter Stuge wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 09:53:15AM -0700, Ronald G. Minnich wrote:
> > On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, Peter Stuge wrote:
> >
> > > Ouch! Does anyone know what the problem is?
> >
> > No
> >
> > > Also, do you recall which models any of those mainboards were?
> >
> > every model I've had with a 3V pci bus.
>
> Aha, a 5V PCI card will likely cause problems if plugged into a 3V
> bus, although that's not supposed to be possible thanks to the
> differently keyed connectors.

yeah, but even a plan ol' pci 32 bits slot @ 33 mhz on the supermicro
boards we have won't tolerate a post card. I haven't look enough to know
what's up here. Serial POST was my fix -- I like that better anyway.

> To be at least a little future proof (who knows how long PCI will live)
> I fully intend to make it a real Universal board that works equally well
> in 5V and 3V systems, without any configuration required. This is
> possible within the PCI specification.

good plan.

> Any particular reason to specifically choose a BASIC Stamp rather
> than e.g. a PIC?

PIC is fine. Something you can program would be cool

> Has all email to/from the list been coming through correctly the
> last 12 hours? I'm not sure if I got some duplicates and delayed
> messages?

things seem ok here.

ron