V2 questions

Ronald G. Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Thu Jan 20 05:19:00 CET 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Richard Smith wrote:

> Whats the mapping between the various CPU models in the intel directory
> and marketing cpu names as I know them like Pentium III, P3 celeron,
> Pentuim 4, etc.

At this point I believe the marketing names are going away as they are not
specific enough, so you have to use the full name. That's about it.

> I don't completely grok the fallback and normal stuff.  I know the theory but
> not practice.  I know this is a FAQ. Explain it to me and I'll document it for
> the next guy.

fallback always runs the first few instructions, and it makes a decision
about whether to continue running or jump to normal.

> Why are all the payloads out of tree?  Be nice if there was a payloads
> directory with some known good payloads.

well, I am supposed to put my filo in there RSN, should I do that? My
mistake ...

I would still prefer to get people to build out of the tree, but ...

ron