[BULK] RFC: Generic shadow mechanism useable from a payload

Adam Sulmicki adam at cfar.umd.edu
Wed Jan 26 10:45:01 CET 2005

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Richard Smith wrote:

>>         http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/freebios/freebios/util/ADLO/loader.s?rev=1.1&view=auto
>>
>> it mentions sources as 0x8000 and 0x18000, so I guess they have been
>> aready copied out of rom into the the low memory by linuxbios ???
>>
>> (i think that's part of the ELF header specs to tell LB where to put the
>> image).
>
> So you think the ELF loader loads into ram and then loader moves it
> into the right position?

I think so.

> I wonder if we could not just set things up where the ELF loader just
> loas it into the right spot in the first place.  Perhaps that
> overwrites where the ELF code lives?

if the ram/shadowing was setup correctly _before_ payload is started, then
perhaps.

but you still need to execute the switch to real mode code.

perhaps you could do that by the means of more elaborate elf header which
tells

 	* load loader.s here
 	* load pc bios here
 	* load video bios here
 	* jump to loader.s

as far as I belive elf should spport loading multiple segments into
arbirary places in ram.