[LinuxBIOS] Bios & PCI

Art Fore art.fore at comcast.net
Fri Jul 15 05:17:28 CEST 2005

Apparently, the PCI bus is setup during booth with the bios. We have a
problem with this. We have a system, dual booth Suse Linux and WinXP. It
is connected via a "Stargen" chip which is actually a serial PCI bridge.
This controls an external instrument where each card is a PCI instrument
connected via andother "Stargen" chip.  If we shut down the instrument
system, and change a card, and turn it back on, we then have to rebooth
the computer to get it to re-instanciate the PCI bus and recognize the
new card.

Is it possible with OpenBios or LinuxBios to be able to perform this
function from the operating system without having to do a reboot?

Please note I am not a bios guru.

Art