[LinuxBIOS] New version of ROM posting app

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 09:15:04 CEST 2005

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 23:15:08 -0700, Li-Ta Lo <ollie at lanl.gov> wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-03-26 at 14:36 -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > Currently they don't use Ben's VGA arbiter which isn't ready yet. When
> > finished these app will automatically be triggered on driver load as
> > part of the hotplug process.
> >
> > The source to vm86 is from the linux BIOS project where is has been
> > worked on to make it substantially smaller. I like to keep everyone on
> > the same source code base if possible.
> >
> > Once we get these cleaned up and working I'm hoping to get them added
> > to the klibc project. Once in klibc, klibc is schedule to go into the
> > kernel sooner or later.
> >
> > They are both partially working but fail part way through the posting
> > process. I've been playing with them a couple of days and I can't
> > figure out why they are failing. They are both failing for different
> > reasons. Can anyone help?
> >

> Which version of x86emu are you using? The larger one from XF86 or the
> reduced version from Paulo?

The one from linux BIOS cvs:
linuxbios/src/devices/emulator/x86emu

> I didn't follow the discussion on LKML about integrating the emulator,
> what was the conclusion. Got O.K. from Linus?

The emulator is going to run in user space. When the driver loads it
uses a hotplug event to trigger the posting app.

Linux is being changed currently to support early user space. Early
user space is active as soon as it is feasible. It runs things from
initramfs. The video driver and the reset program will be on the
initramfs. When the hardware is detected the driver will be loaded.
The driver will then trigger hotplug which will cause the reset. This
will occur as early in the boot process as possible. Much earlier than
current user space.

Klibc is the C library for initramfs. The plan is to integrate it into
the kernel tree even though it runs in user space. The reset app would
then go into that part of the tree.

Many other parts of the kernel are being moved to this model where
large piece of the driver run in user space. Another example is iSCSI
support.

Note that the reset program needs to run on a recent kernel. Check
/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:01:00.0/rom and make sure it is there. If
not you need a more recent kernel.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com