[LinuxBIOS] Mount linux elf image for netboot as loop device

Nathanael Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Thu Mar 31 05:44:18 CEST 2005

On Mar 30, 2005, at 7:36 PM, Tony Cheng wrote:

> I used mkelfImage to combined Linux Kernel 2.4.20 and initrd into elf
> image for netboot. then I try to use "mount -o loop my_elfImage" to
> mount this image as a loop device. I get a error message like this:

mkelfimage doesn't make a filesystem as far as I know, and only puts
the kernel into a format that the linuxbios expects to find so it can
load it into ram and jump to it. What you are asking to do is about as
the same as mounting a compiled program as a filesystem. You can't do
'mount -o loop /bin/bash /mnt/loop' anymore then you can mount the
kernel file.

--
Nathanael D. Noblet
Gnat Solutions