[LinuxBIOS] RAM limit of TM5800 with VT8231 southbridge

Miernik miernik at ffii.org
Fri Nov 18 08:58:38 CET 2005

Bari Ari <bari at onelabs.com> wrote:
> The TM5800 can directly address 4GB of memory space since it is a 32 bit
> cpu. However the maximum memory size in the DIMM sockets the TM5800 can
> address is 1025MB

1024 MB you mean?

If only 1 GB can go in DIMM sockets, where can the remaining 3 GB go?

> arranged as two banks of 512MB or four banks of 256MB.

Is "bank" = "1 DIMM module" or?

> Design of the memory controller silicon

Is the memory controller silicon inside the TM5800, or is it some
separate chip?

> Look for modules that that minimize the number of loads.

What are "loads"?

> The SDRAM interface cannot drive more than sixteen unbuffered devices.
> SDR SDRAM configurations requiring more than sixteen loads must use
> buffered SDR memory.

But I am talking about DDR here, not SDR.

TM5800 does not support buffered memory:
http://transmeta.com/crusoe_docs/TM5800v2.1_databook_030922.pdf
Page 2, section 1.2.1

Miernik             _________________________  xmpp:miernik at amessage.info
Protect Europe from a legal disaster. Petition against software patents
http://www.noepatents.org/index_html?LANG=en