[LinuxBIOS] APICID lifting

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Wed Oct 26 18:52:25 CEST 2005

yhlu <yinghailu at gmail.com> writes:

> new device could support 8 bit apic id. for example new 8132.
>
> but 8111, 8131 only support 4 bit.

Yes.   But the cpus always support 8 bit apic id.

> some old kernel assume boot cpu apic id is 0.
>
> So the best way is only lift apic id of AP, and don't touch BSP's

The best way is to get buggy software fixed.  So lifting the apic
id on the boot cpu will help find those bugs sooner, so they get
fixed.

I admit there is a pain threshold to supporting older software.
If it is much to much of a problem to update software we need to
do something.

Eric