[LinuxBIOS] Latest commit - clarification

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Wed Oct 26 19:26:32 CEST 2005

San Mehat <san at google.com> writes:

> On 10/25/05, Eric W. Biederman <ebiederman at lnxi.com> wrote:
>
>     killing get_apicid_base looks like a bug.
>     But as far as I can tell everything that is gone is now unnecessary.
>

> Okay... so what replace start_other_cores()?

setup_coherent_ht_domain() now starts the secondaries cores like it
has always started the primary cores.

> .. In CAR mode, do I make a call to
> 'do_k8_init_and_stop_secondaries()'?
That was the hope.  We are still working on getting CAR mode fixed.

> That code itself wont build due to the following in
> 'k8_init_and_stop_secondaries()':
>   if (init_detected) {
>                 asm volatile ("jmp __cpu_reset");
>         }
>
> because in CAR configs, arch/i386/lib/cpu_reset.inc is not included. On this
> particular issue, I'm happy to wait for YH's fixes.

> I just think if we're going to deprecate a core call like that, there should be
> some documentation on *why* it was removed, as well as some indication as to
> where the behavior got 'moved' to.

Agreed.  I think a lot of that description got onto the issue tracker.

As far as it being a core call it was just introduced a little while ago
with a bunch of other dual core code, that had enough ifdefs that the
code was becoming fragile.

> It just makes things a lot easier for thoes of us that are either ramping up,
> or trying to maintain things..
>
> Thanks Eric ;)
>
> -san
>
> PS: I'm still going to get you drunk and shave your beard.

promises promises :)