[LinuxBIOS] lnxi-merge complete

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 01:28:55 CEST 2005

On 10/26/05, Ronald G Minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov> wrote:
> we might want to have a release tree and a devel tree, though. We've got
> to get out of this 'break it for everyone' release cycle.

I think I'd call it more of a merge rather than a release.  And I
think the breakage is to be expected.  This is really complex stuff.
The issues are more about how do you manage the breakage and how to
you make the pieces easy to pick up.

I suggested multi trees earlier but YH thought that it might be too
much work.  I use the multi-tree method a lot now that I've (mostly)
moved over to DARCS and doing trees is easy.

Seperate  dev and release trees (or branches) just seem to make sense
and examples of them are all over the place.

If patches are kept well defined and focused then I don't see a lot of
extra work since they should apply to a copy of the developers
internal tree with minimal fixups.

If they don't apply easily then thats a warning flag and things need
to be looked at.

--
Richard A. Smith