[LinuxBIOS] SockelA Mainboards supporting LinuxBIOS

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Sat Apr 8 20:48:30 CEST 2006

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 09:54:58PM +0200, Art Tevs wrote:
> Does there exists SockelA (AMD Athlon XP) mainboards that are
> supported by the linuxbios project? On the homepage there is no
> such boards listed.

Please check the source tree for the most (only) up-to-date list of
supported hardware.

> I think each board that has removeable BIOS chip should be able to
> support linux. I mean it should be possible to write new version of
> LinuxBIOS for such a board. Or do I think wrong?

Socketed or not, all boards are potential LinuxBIOS machines.

In practice, more often than not it's hard (impossible) to access
satisfactory documentation for the hardware that needs to be
initialized by LinuxBIOS. Clean reverse engineering is an alternative
of course, but that means a lot more work. Leading developers have
chosen hardware with more accessible documentation instead, one
example is AMD over Intel.

//Peter