[LinuxBIOS] some more tyan/s2881 questions

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 01:25:29 CEST 2006

On 4/20/06, Ward Vandewege <ward at gnu.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 04:00:27PM -0700, Lu, Yinghai wrote:
> > 1. need to add acpi support in s2881 LinuxBIOS support to get it.
> > Anyway 8111 acpi support is already there in Serengeti_leopard, so it
> > will be easy to get that.
>
> So.... if there is no ACPI support yet for this board in LinuxBIOS, does that
> mean that there is no automatic fan control in hardware? In other words, that
> the CPUs will cook if they get too hot, because the fans won't start blowing
> harder automatically?

If they do then the hardware designers failed miserably.  Generally
what I find is that when you first power on the machine the fans come
on full.  Then the bios takes over.
What happens in the case when the power supply is going flaky and
machine glitches on startup and doesn't fully boot?

If you pull the bios chip and then power up the board and the fans
don't come on full then I would find a different manufacturer since
that one is just waiting to cook itself in a crash.

--
Richard A. Smith