[LinuxBIOS] Old Tyan "Tsunami" S1846 board?

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 18:50:26 CEST 2006

On 4/21/06, Scott Leffel <sleff1970 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> What's unclear to me is what version of the kernel source code might have
> ever worked with FreeBIOS when it supported the S1846 there for awhile under
> v1.0.

Thats a 440bx based board.  So the V1 Bitworks/IMS mainboard code
should work if you fixup the superIO.

I've booted lots of different kernels starting from 2.4.3 or so up to
2.6.10 on the IMS board so I think if you just pick the latest and try
you should not have any problems.

> I've scoured all our spare & decomissioned systems here, trying to find
> something more modern that's been on the supported list at some point, but
> unfortunately this board seems to be all we've got.  I'd like to be able to
> lab this out, which might convince folks to buy some newer Tyan's for this
> purpose, but for now I'd greatly appreciate anything the community can
> render in terms of advice.

Good timing.  Just last night I pulled in my V2 440bx framework
patches into the latest SVN  and began work on trying to make an Asus
P2B work (Another 440bx board)

Currently I have the Asus up and spitting data out the serial port.

The V2 440bx stuff has a problem that I'm doing something wrong in the
SPD read from the memory.  It always returns 0xff.

The Asus is further complicated in that it has a something different
with the spd bus that has to be enabled.   The V1 440bx code does not
work with the Asus P2B.

If you are interested in helping me work out the problems with the V2
440bx SPD read then let me know and I'll commit my 440bx V2 framework.

--
Richard A. Smith