[LinuxBIOS] etherboot/filo + sata startup timing

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Sat Apr 29 01:16:17 CEST 2006

* Ward Vandewege <ward at gnu.org> [060425 00:25]:
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 12:21:44AM +0200, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> > * Ronald G Minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov> [060425 00:02]:
> > > this problem goes back to our very first boot some six years ago. Amazing.
> > >
> > > ATA has outrageous boot delays. I'm sorry to see that SATA has them too.
> > > I have no good idea how to fix this, unless we can train FILO to know
> > > that we're coming into boot from power on reset.
> >
> > What's needed here? Just keep on polling until either a couple more
> > seconds are gone or we finally start seeing the drive?
> >
> > What features does the etherboot filo have that the official one does
> > not? I'd like to merge those, as file-pre-0.5 has a lot of interesting
> > stuff that never went into etherboot (and etherboot is a pita to build
> > compared to filo at least)
>
> Can we have SATA support directly in filo? That would simplify things
> greatly!

The latest Subversion revision at

   svn://openbios.org/filo/trunk/filo-0.5

should have working S-ATA. I have no S-ATA here so I could not test it.
It's the version that also comes with the GRUB user interface.

It still lacks two things:

 - reading syslinux.cfg from cdroms/dvds to allow really easy CD booting
 - zelf support

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613