[LinuxBIOS] IT8718F support.

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Wed Aug 30 14:24:14 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 11:31:23PM +0200, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> * Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> [060829 23:06]:
> > Yes, he is. This has the potential to get quite a lot of people started
> > and getting any output at all is a major motivation factor even if the
> > rest of the code for bringup has yet to be written.

That's a great idea! I figure it should be possible to create a
repository of some sort which contains such ROM images.
That eliminates the need to understand the build process and compile
stuff, which will lower the entry bar for a few people and might get
them interested in the project.

> Definitely. Uwe, can you (or someone else) have a look what SuperIOs
> boards usually use, so we can try to support an as large as possible
> set of boards theoretically. (thinking mainstream)

Yes, that shouldn't be a problem for recent boards. We can just scan all
major online computer stores for board names and then get the datasheets
of the vendors; or simply visit the websites of the 10 biggest vendors
or so and simply get _all_ their datasheets. Then we can do some
statistics etc.

As for the Super IOs I'd use another approach; simply download all
datasheets you can get your hands on and add support for the respective
part (which is what I'm doing with the ITEs; when Im done I'll probably
continue with Winbond).

Uwe.
--
Uwe Hermann